Monday, June 30, 2008

On the Road

May and June have been a pretty crazy month for me. In the past four weeks, I've been in eleven states (plus DC), slept in eleven different places, and racked up more than 2,600 miles on my odometer (I don't even want to think about how much the gas cost for those miles). I've had a lot of fun, though, and the fact that I have no road trips planned for the near future makes me feel almost ancy.

Some highlights of the New England roadtrip:
  • Visiting former Bates haunts with old friends, climbing Mount David and eating brunch in Commons (it was New Commons, but the French toast still tastes the same).
  • Camping in ME and VT with Nate, discovering Burlington (a very cool city) and exploring shops and neighborhoods in Brattleboro, planning for my move there in September.
  • Swimming in Lake Champlain to cool down from the 95-degree heat (yes, even in Vermont!)
  • Kicking off the summer season floating in Candlewood Lake, bonding with my family over gin and tonics and cheese and crackers.
  • Wading in Kent Falls.
  • Revisiting my youth by playing on the tank and dancing old-timey style in the bandstand on the green in New Milford.
  • Rediscovering beautiful New England and getting excited about living there again!
The trip was a blast from beginning to end, although the one low point came when I realized I had lost my camera. (Yes, some of you may remember this is the second time this has happened to me, don't remind me, I'm kicking myself really hard for being so absent-minded). So I've had to borrow photos from other people to show off my adventures.

From Basil: Alison and Henry and I in front of Old Commons, feeling nostalgic for the small and middle rooms.
Old Commons

From Nate:
Where did I go to college?


Overlooking the Connecticut River in Brattleboro:


Ice Cream Mecca!


Who took that?


Oh, and we also learned a little bit about Maine's own Moxie soda: