Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fundraising Recap

The fundraiser last weekend was pretty successful. Everything went smoothly, and all of our fabulous auction prizes sold! In total we raised a bit more than $6,000...and with the rest of the team planning a benefit concert and party next weekend, we're hoping to raise enough money to cover our airfare to Peru. All the medical supplies will be donated and other costs will be minimal, so this will be a great accomplishment!

I was disappointed in the attendance at the event--we had less than half the number of attendees that we had hoped for, and with a ticket cost of $50 per person, that meant a lot less funds raised than we had hoped. But at the end of the night, I had to give myself a big pat on the back. Attendance wasn't my responsibility (I'm not a doctor, I don't have wealthy New Yorker friends), and I took the things I was responsible for and did them very well, including acting as impromptu emcee and hostess--an unexpected role. So after all was said and done, I was pleased at my work. I was also completely exhausted, and judging by the nasty cold that struck this weekend, all the stress of preparation may have compromised my immune system.

This whole project just keeps hitting one snag and road block after another, and somehow it almost felt like luck that the fundraiser went as smoothly as it did. For instance, in the first two weeks of March, several of the doctors who had planned to go on the trip with us (a trip, I might remind you, that is scheduled for the first week of May!) suddenly decided that they don't want to go. This concept is totally inconceivable for me, but for at least four doctors this was true. However, we were able to recruit new doctors very quickly and I think the roster is now complete. I still feel a lingering sense of wariness and apprehension about the whole project...however, we're in the final stretch now and we're going to fight to make it happen. I'm sure I'll keep you posted on our progress over the next six weeks.

Fundraiser