Friday, September 07, 2007

Enter the students

So we're back in gear here on campus. Tomorrow I plan to have a true local experience and tailgate for the big Notre Dame game. Not being a football fan, or much of a sports-party type of girl, or a big fan of crowds of rowdy drunken people, or a person who likes to sit on lawn chairs when there isn't a beach or pool nearby, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it.

September is absolutely the worst month for me, work-wise. In the short span of one or two weeks, I went from a nice, quiet office and campus, to Stress City, population 40,000. The beginning of the semester marks my busiest time of year. First I have to recruit, interview, hire and train two teams of student volunteers, and plan for a big information fair that I am in charge of at the end of the month. And all the while, a steady stream of students come through my office, looking for information, and since the student volunteers aren't trained yet, I have to help them. By this afternoon, I started feeling overwhelmed and worried that I might forget something essential, so when I got home I took some time to make a list of all the things that have to be done. Most of the things really need to get done in the next few days. I came up with a list of FIFTY individual, significant tasks...and even with that, I think I'm forgetting a few things.

So wish me luck! And stay tuned for some tailgating photos and an update on the carpet situation--there's good news!