Friday, August 24, 2007

Last day of calm

Today was my last day having a student-free office for approximately four months. It's been a beautiful summer, and I've managed to get a lot of work done, finished projects I'd been planning for a long time and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Over the weekend, the town's population will increase by something like 20,000 people and that peace and quiet will become a distant memory. Today on my drive home from work I saw four guys walking along the street. One had his shirt off, two were carrying guitars in cases on their backs and two were carrying cases of Labatts Blue on their shoulders. And I thought, oh, here we go. Brace yourselves, folks. School is back in session.

I've loved the summer, but really, it's fun to have students around. They bring a lot of energy to the office, and I love being connected with what's going on around campus. Plus, I like that I occasionally have pearls of wisdom to share with them that I've gained in the ten years since I was in their shoes. Also, they show me funny You Tube videos.