Saturday, December 09, 2006

Don't I have something better to do?

A few months ago, I started using Google Reader to keep track of all the blogs and various other sites I read. One of their features are "bundles" of sites you can sign up for. For instance, they have a Sports bundle, and if you sign up for that, you get all the updates of sites like Sports Illustrated, BBC Sport, and some sports blogs. I didn't sign up for that, but I did sign up for their photography bundle, which is fun--and I added to that the feed for my friend Dave's photoblog--if you enjoyed my photos of Latin America, check out his. I just about die of nostalgia when I see them.

I also signed up for their "thinkers" bundle, which has also been fun. It includes some articles which I don't really have to think about (like some of Salon.com's celebrity news), some that I do have to think about quite a bit, and some which I have to think so hard to understand that it makes my brain hurt.

Anyway, that gives me lots of reading material, which is proving to be a bad thing right now. The semester is drawing to a close, and I'm discovering that after an 8+ year hiatus from school, my procrastination habit never went away. With 5 days left until the day I have both a paper due and a final, I am beginning to panic. But speaking of which, one of those "thinkers" recently wrote an article about the potential economic benefits of procrastination. I didn't really understand exactly what it's all about, but at least it made me feel like I'm in good company. There's something ironic about it, though: instead of doing the work I should be doing, I'm reading an article about procrastination. And then instead of doing my work, I'm blogging about reading an article about procrastination. Maybe I'm a hopeless case.