Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In the busyness business

In recent weeks, I have commented to several people via e-mail about how pleased I am with the strict 40-hour work week I enjoy at my new job. As it turns out, I spoke way too soon and am now getting my comeuppance. It's Wednesday and already this week I've worked about 36 hours. September is a really busy time for my department and I personally have two major projects (the two single biggest responsibilities of my job) that I am wading knee-deep in right now. It's been pretty stressful--I'm new enough at the job to not fully understand the work to be done, but I've been here long enough to mostly be left alone to do it. And did I mention the 85 or so pages of reading for my class due tomorrow?

But at least for tonight things are looking up. I just finished the second training for my student volunteers, which was really successful and fun, and a real weight off my mind now that it's finished. Then to come home and enjoy a big bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge sauce while watching Project Runway and the Daily Show...relief, however temporary, is a joy to be savored.