Saturday, September 30, 2006

Football again

I just had a revelation. I turned on the TV to catch a little bit of the game and realized that ABC is broadcasting a major sports event from my new hometown. This might seem obvious. But it's a major network, and it's State College...a town with a permanent population of approximately 40,000. Somehow, this just woke me up to the realization that if I really want to become a citizen of this town, if I really want to be involved, I'm going to have to become a football fan--or at least start caring if we win or lose. I should probably start by figuring out which team we are (why do all the teams wear blue and white?) and maybe learning some players' names.

Sounds easy, but considering right now I'd rather turn off the TV and clean my apartment than keep watching, I think it's going to take some effort.