Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Busy Week

Inventory for the past 7 days:

New Apartment: 1
Major Pieces of Furniture Needed to Make the Place Really Livable: 7 or 8
Craigslist/Classified Ads responded to for furniture or cars: about 10
Empty Boxes Cluttering My Dining Room: about 15
Garbage Disposal: 1, the first in my 30.5 years of life!
Box Stores visited: 5
Frequent-buyer tags now attached to keychain: 2 (Dick's Sporting Goods, Wegman's)
New Store Credit Cards: 2 (Ikea, Target)
Dollars Spent at Target: 250
New Checking Account: 1
Money left in Old Checking Account: $3.59

New (Used) Car: 1, 2000 Honda Civic, my new baby, mine as of today
Requirements for Transferring Car Title: Proof of Insurance, PA Driver's License
New Car Insurance Mascot: 1 Gecko
PA Driver's License requirements: 2 forms I.D., apartment lease, utility bill
Utility Bills received thus far: 0
Nice DMV employee accepting Fire Inspection Certificate in lieu of utility bill: 1
New PA Driver's License: 1
Quirks of my cousin's pickup truck, which I've been driving for the past week: about 5, including a gearshift knob which comes off in my hand and a gas gauge perpetually reading Empty
# of Walmart employees recruited to jimmy open truck door with a wire coat hanger after discovering (too late) that the ignition key does not open the door locks: 1

New cellphone: 1 sweet silver Razr
New phone numbers: 2, cell and work

New Job: 1, going pretty well so far
New Colleagues: about 50
New Colleagues whose names I remember: about 10
Approximate number of students expected to arrive in town in the next week: 30,000
New Medical/Dental Coverage: Full, activated August 23
Broken Tooth: 1, August 25

Feelings of accomplishment and pride at having handled all of this myself, and excitement at starting a new phase of my life and finally starting to put down some roots, however tentatively: infinite.