Monday, April 03, 2006

Back to School

This weekend I went to the New Milford High School production of Oklahoma. It was the 25th anniversary of the all-school musical, Saturday was alumni night, with a reception afterwards for anyone who took part in any of the plays. Since I held a very important role (tap-dancing chorus girl #14) in the 1994 production of Anything Goes I went to rub elbows with the other esteemed members of high school drama fame and to offer my congrats to the much loved director of all 25 musicals, Mr. Keck. It was a little disappointed that only one other person from my year was there, but I did get to see my old calculus teacher, a friend of mine's parents, and the local celebrity of the moment, Brian from Survivor: Guatemala. He was definitely popular at the gathering, and although I would actually have liked to chat with him about Guatemala, I couldn't bring myself to be some kind of fawning fan, so I stayed away.

NMHS always does a great job with their annual musical and there were definitely some talented kids in this one. With high school plays I'm always especially impressed with the boys in the cast--perhaps this is unfair, but considering the fact that to be selected they actually had to stand on stage and sing something out loud, alone, I think it's impressive that they get any guys at all. Just the idea of doing that would send most teenage boys running for the hills, I would think. The play was good, although the hokey music and all the "y'all" and "purdy" and hootin' an' a-hollerin' wears you down after a while. And I have to admit, the midwestern theme and some of the dance moves did remind me, to my great chagrin, of Waiting for Guffman. But I was reminded of how much fun I had when I was in the senior play and the musical that year, and wondered if this year's cast had any of the behind-the-scenes drama, bitchy cast feuds, or the infamous cast parties afterwards that we did. I sure hope so; it wouldn't be the same without them.