Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Arrival

I am here, safe and sound in Mexico City. I arrived last night around 10 PM, but unfortunately my suitcase spent the night in Washington DC. In my life my luggage has been lost only twice before now, and in both of those cases it was only a matter of a few hours before I got it back. Believe it or not, with all the travelling I´ve done in my life, this is the first time I´ve had to wait overnight for a suitcase. I guess I was due. Luckily my toothbrush and toothpaste were in my carryon.

I have no major observations about Mexico City so far, except that those in the know--I´ve been here almost one day, so I count--call it DF (Distrito Federal). Seen from the air at night, it is absolutely huge and sprawling, which is no real revelation since it´s the largest city in the world. I´m staying with Marco, who lives about two blocks from the office. This seems like a miracle to me in such a big city. Today I´ve jumped right back into work, and have been trying to remind myself the ins and outs of the business I worked in for four years. I arrived in perfect time: Marco´s only colleague in the office here gave her notice yesterday, effective immediately, so there´s plenty of work for me to do.