Thursday, January 26, 2006

Anniversary Post

There are several other sources of enjoyment in a long voyage...The map of the world ceases to be a blank; it becomes a picture full of the most varied and animated figures...In a moral point of view, the effect [on the traveler] ought to be, to teach him good-humored patience, freedom from selfishness, the habit of acting for himself, and of making the best of every occurrence.

-Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle

This post marks several milestones: the one-year anniversary of my arrival in Argentina (or, actually, it would have had I written it before midnight), my last post with pictures from my travels, and...drumroll please...my 100th post! Hard to believe but true! It's been fun and I plan to keep it up during my new wanderings through the job market and interview process and whatever adventures come my way.

So yes, I am hereby wrapping up the long tale of My Year Of Travels. I look at my photos daily--they are my screen saver--and still read the blogs of several travel friends, and it makes me so nostalgic that I can hardly sit still. I had so many amazing experiences that in a lifetime of blogging I could never tell all my stories (and I'm not too deluded to realize that I would lose my readership pretty quickly). To wrap up, I don't actually have much to say about my last stop in Central America--Roatan, on the Bay Islands in Honduras. The islands are a world-reknowned location for cheap scuba diving--one dive costs around $20 there, which is just ridiculously cheap. So that's mainly what I did. I took my Advanced Diving course, checked out a couple of the beaches, and had some good food. Oh, and I got my belly button pierced on my way out, the night before my flight.

So to sum up, I'll leave you with the above quote from Darwin, which rings true with me in every respect, and a few underwater photos:

Coral