Thursday, August 18, 2005

Home Again, Home Again, Lickety-Split

Well, here I am, whisked away from the Southern Hemisphere and plopped down in the Northern one. My flight was uneventful, although I thought it was a little strange that the film was The Naked Gun. I mean, really, as classic as it may be, the film came out in 1988 and stars O.J. Simpson! Was there nothing else in the airline video library available? But still, it was a good break from the never-ending series of action movies shown on South American buses. (To be fair I should say that the films were almost always action movies with lots of shooting, fighting and explosions a la Jean-Claude Van Damme, but occasionally they'd show a stupid comedy starring a former SNL star, e.g. "The Animal" or "Beverly Hills Ninja")

So, I'm just hanging out at my mom's in CT, enjoying the comforts of a full refrigerator and a bed I don't have to pay for, not to mention re-discovering all the stuff I left behind. It's amazing how much joy a simple tank top can bring after wearing the same four shirts and two pairs of pants for seven months! I'm still getting used to using the American keyboard again, re-learning where the "-", "@", and even the """ are located, and fully enjoying being able to drink from the tap and eat salads again.

As for the future of Distant Wanderings...not to worry, I've got some more wanderings coming up. Next week I head to Boston for a wedding, then I fly straight from there to England for another wedding! Then, well, I have jury duty. Finally, I haven't decided yet, but there is a distinct possibility that I may head back out in September for a few months of travelling before settling down (where? and to do what? don't ask me, I don't know). I will let you know.