Thursday, February 17, 2005

Arrived!

Well, it took 25 hours of travelling, but I made it from Iguazú to Ushuaia. The bus ride was fine but not quite as nice this time, although we did get to see Mean Girls, which was at least funny (and not just funny because it was so bad, like the ones I saw on the way up). I met up with my friend Celia at the airport in Buenos Aires and we came down here together. We´re staying at a really cozy, small hostel about 20 minutes walk from the center of Ushuaia, which is very small, and overrun by tourists from all over. Tomorrow we´re going hiking with four Israelis who are also staying here.

I had to do a major baggage overhaul in Iguazu. If any of you have read Bill Bryson´s A Walk in the Woods, you may remember the way his friend needed to chuck out all of the extra things they had brought, including boxes of Little Debbie snack cakes or similar junk food, right after they started their hike. I felt a bit like that as I dumped any thing I could think of into the garbage in my hostel. Moisturizer, extra socks, one t-shirt, some herbal swiss decongestant tablets, and a beach towel were among the casualties. Then I brought a little over than 4 pounds of stuff to the post office and spent $20 to have it sent home to Connecticut (via Katmandu, apparently, as it will take 1-2 months to arrive). But I´m much happier with my lighter bag. In total I now have 21 kilograms, or 46 pounds, strapped to my body as I travel. Oof.